Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 10 Jan 2009 10:40:19 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Water pumps...Seattle area
Comments: To: "A. Hurley" <ahurley@VIEWIT.COM>

Not sure what the question is, but the 1.9 and 2.1 waterboxer engines each take their own style waterpump.

'usually' if someone puts a 2.1 wbxr engine where a 1.9 was, they keep the 1.9 cooling system , thus requiring that they use a 1.9 waterpump on the 2.1 engine block.

either water pump will fit on either block. In order to need a 2.1 waterpump on a 2.1 engine block in an 83 to 85 Vanagon that had a 1.9..............it can be done, but you need to install a bunch of 2.1 type cooling system stuff from a 2.1 vanagon .......... if it's a 2.1 type cooling system, that's easily identified by the large plastic or metal ( syncro ) thermostat housing at the forward end of the left head. If you see that part..........and the large metal pipe going to it on the left side of the engine..........then you have a 2.1 cooling system and want a 2.1 waterpump.

Changes are however, that someone did not go to the trouble to to install the entire 2.1 cooling system into the 1.9 type vanagon body, ( which would include a Distribution Thing on the right side of the firewall, on the away-from-the-engine part, and numerous 2.1 only type hoses. ) so you'll likely need a 1.9 water pump. If you have a metal pipe sticking into the waterpump from the right side............that's a 1.9 waterpump. Be darn careful with the thermostat housing bolts.................where it's bolted to the block & waterpump .........tendency to corrode badly and sometimes break off.

hope that was followable and what you needed to know. scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "A. Hurley" <ahurley@VIEWIT.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Saturday, January 10, 2009 10:03 AM Subject: Re: Water pumps...Seattle area