Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 14 Jan 2009 13:36:57 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Starter solenoid current
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>

there was a discussion about solenoids and current draw on tdi-conversion about 10 months ago. Seems no one ever had to look deeply into it, but when they did, on Bosch starters.... at least some of them...........there is a 'pull winding' and a 'hold winding' ..... the initial pull current would be the higher one I imagine.

and what size fuse is blowing ? .....and I assume this is in the 'trigger circuit' .......the signal that energizes the solenoid. Stock, that current goes through the small electrical contacts of the ignition switch........ and it's never been fused, and it's never been an issue. For a normal 'starter booster relay' .........the current branch that operates the solenoid would not be fused. As Dennis says........there are numerous unfused circuits. the starter trigger signal is one. Ignition to the coil is another. I have never ever had any need or occasion to measure current draw in the solenoid trigger circuit, in thousands of cars or vanagons. If it was excessive........the starter itself comes to mind. I treat the starter.......made up of 3 main parts........the motor, the solenoid, and the bendix drive gear, as a whole unit. I don't believe in 'bad solenoids' .......though of course that can happen.

I would be tempted to unfuse the trigger current path....... and if need be, try another starter if the one now fitted is a decent Bosch rebuilt one that's not too, too old. ( and the goofy things people do modifying VW wiring circuits........don't even get me started !! )

If it's a cheapy, the starter, .......or it looks 20+ years old.........you know. Also.,.......good ground connection, transmission to body, and body to starting battery .........can't say enough how those have to be right, and solid, and clean. Personally........I have never liked a starter booster relay down there by the mud and yuck and grease. What I have done for a personal keeper Vanagon is install an entire new, heavy duty, starter trigger circuit. I get a heavy duty generic starter button from a FLAPS ........a GOOD starter button, not something from china that cost 2 bucks....... but a solid good high quality starter button, and mount it in the dash right above the light switch......nice spot there. Then I wire that with large wires, straight from the battery, to the switch, to the starter trigger terminal on the starter solenoid. You won't have troubles with a well-installed circuit like this. I keep the stock 'through-the-key' circuit as well. I might run that through a booster relay......but I've just not found booster relays to be long term 'solid and reliable.' Have fun, do good work ! Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dennis Haynes" <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, January 13, 2009 8:38 PM Subject: Re: Starter solenoid current