Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 19 Jan 2009 11:32:26 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: No low beam on driver's side '85 GL
Comments: To: Jeff Lincoln <magikvw@GMAIL.COM>

well.......... one always checks the fuses, of course. and on the type of fuse used in the 85 ( last year of that old style 'ceramic with strip of metal on the side ) .......... those fuses commonly don't make contact on the ends if there's any corrosion. I commonly twist them a bit when checking them........can often make them make contact at the ends again. I treat the whole area with WD-40.

btw......this is how powerful WD-40 is at correcting poor contact at an older style fuse : I was out, saw a mercedes car with For Sale sing, rear wing, and hood up, in front of a FLAPS .......guy working on it. Gotta check that out, right ? I was dressed in nice clothes, so didn't want to really touch the car actually. I show him where the fuse box is. he's trying to get the high beams working.............the high beams are on, but one isn't working............ while the circuit was energized, I sprayed a shot of WD-40 at the corroded end of the pertinent fuse..... there was a puff...........and the high beams came on ......it fixed it that fast, right before my eyes, and I didn't even *touch* the car. !

also.........that's on the power supply side. You need to check the ground side of the circuit too. the ground for the head lights is at a multi-point grounding connection thing hidden above the fuse box, bit hard to access. I change the push-on connectors, which fail to provide contact after many years, to screw and eye terminal connection.

and learn to use a common 12 V test light to check for power and ground at the headlight socket, and to check fuses. To check fuses with a test light, on this older style fuse........you energize whatever circuit/s you are working on, and use the test light to check for power on the metal tabs on both end of the fuse, that the fuse plugs into. there should be power on both ends, or metal tabs. if there's not ......the fuse is blown, or not making contact. in a very rare case there can be an open in the fuse box, but that is rather rare. have fun, do good work ! Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeff Lincoln" <magikvw@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, January 19, 2009 6:44 AM Subject: No low beam on driver's side '85 GL