Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 19 Jan 2009 20:07:47 -0800
Subject:      Re: Need AFM adapter so different aircleaner or cold air intake
              can be used- to cone or no!
Comments: To: neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>

Personally I think the K+N filters are over rated.  There's an excellent posting at TDIclub.com has shown that there are several issues with them and OE paper filters work better.

- Paper filters better when dirty and when clean. - Paper flow more than enough presenting no restriction for a 2.0L TDI (which uses a lot of air). - The oil on K+N filters destroy MAFs and other sensors.

The most restructive part of the system is the silencer for the air box - remove this and you will have lots more flow.

I first hand can say that in very dusty conditions - like extended dirt road travel - the oil on the K+N becomes saturated with dirt and then MORE dirt goes past 'cause it doesn't stick to the oil.  The one reason why a K+N filters at all is the fact there is oil on it and the dirt sticks to the oil - nothing special about cotton over paper!

A stock filter works just great for most applications - change it every time you change your oil and you will be much better off - if you are really serious about filtering in duty conditions a prefiltering cyclone works really well - all Syncros have this and it is an easy retrofit to the 2WD.  I have the MANN cyclone filter for my LT (OE original) and for my TDI Westfalia (one from an LT) and that catches about 90% of the dust entering the system.

If you do insist on running a K+N cone filter, a set of panyhose over the filter goes a long way to help it filter better... seems like a lot of stuff to do just to get away from paper.

David Marshall VW Adventure Driver and BMW Adventure Rider http://www.hasenwerk.ca

On Mon, January 19, 2009 18:13, neil N wrote: > > On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 4:27 PM, Frank Grunthaner <frankgrun@aol.com> > wrote: > >> Apologies for the technical nature of this post to those on the list who >> tolerate this sort of thing, but I couldn't resist. >> >> Frank Grunthaner > >