Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 20 Jan 2009 16:11:24 +0000
From:         Bob Stevens <mtbiker62@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Need AFM adapter so different aircleaner ....

In the vein of this thread .... I took my air filter off at BBB to check (Bob Peak "guilted" me into it by taking his off to check re a missing-at-speed problem). Mine was the standard KEP filter that comes with the Mastercraft combined "kit" for Subie 2.2. It was dirty as H E double-hockey-sticks! Looked up "Jerry" (tie-die sales at BBB and local cabbie who had a phone book in his bus) and rode a single-speed, titanium-framed, 29'er over to the parts store (Jacks, 95 & Koma or Acoma) and they had the ticket (so if you're in Havasu, remember them, they're the best with a great choice of our kinda stuff.

That air filter had three fairly extended offroad trips on it .... maybe 150 miles of dusty roads at most, and the filter sits inside the standard Subie plastic MAF-connected plastic container, in the base of the driver side D pillar, at the bottom end of the Syncro snorkel at that. I think the killer was having the OE tube, a sort of ribbed/aluminized cardboard tube that had completely broken and air was being drawn into it from inside D at the elbow so lotsa dust just behind the driver rear wheel. Anyway, that fix was a piece of reinforced rubber fuel intake hose that fits perfectlly over the elbow and goes up to the plastic snorkel where it attaches at the top of the drive side rear vent.

Think I'll look into Jim's AEM dryflow to boot now ......

Bob Stevens '87 Syncro Westy Subie-powered .... writing from Congress, AZ and headed back to the chill of SLC tomorrow (Wed) moring to being working for 6 weeks while in retirement! (nice XTRA bux)

..... pleeeze, remember to TRIM your posts for us guys who are downloading by the kilo-size on wireless!!! GET IT!!! ;)