Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 15 Jan 2009 20:29:54 -0500
From:         Jeff Lincoln <magikvw@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon List Moderator-let's get things underway!

I swore to myself to keep my trap shut too Miguel - I guess I'm a liar as well. I'm sure my opinion will not carry much weight on this topic as it seems to not be what most of the vocal minority agree with. However, I've started writing now and I may as well keep it up.

It is clear that the list needs moderation of some kind. I'm good with Jim continuing, if he so chooses (he was doing a fine job) and I'm in support of BenT as well - someone mentioned Mike C and I thought that a fine idea too. Actually I'd support just about anyone who can be reasonable and is willing to do the job.

Committees and voting are fine ideas but just looking at this thread I don't see that working.

As far as guidelines, charters, or rules go - it's clear there need to be guidelines - I personally was am not a fan of the "new" charter which mimicked the Type2 list.

My opinion is more in line with what John Rodgers has been saying.

It is obvious that posts about non-Vanagon/VW charities, political opinion, social activism, what time you got up this morning, etc. are not acceptable. (although I'll admit I've been drawn into them in the past). However, are posts about camping events, Vanagon/bus "culture", trip reports, cool sightings, etc. unacceptable? The technical stuff is clearly the skeleton or foundation but the other stuff seems to flesh this list out nicely.

I agree that no moderation will kill the list. I disagree that the list should be technical only - however topics should contain at the very least a hint of Vanagon/VW content.

So there it is, my unsolicited opinion. I know it differs from many - but that's how I feel about this entire thing. If we are to vote so be it - if a moderator is to be appointed so be it. I'm likely to stick around no matter how the chips fall.

-- Thanks,

Jeff '90 Carat (Grover) '86 (We call this one Parts) '78 Bus (Melissa) Patty's Bus