Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 16 Jan 2009 10:31:48 -0500
From:         pickle vanagon <greenvanagon@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon List Moderator-let's get things underway!
Comments: To: John Rodgers <inua@charter.net>

> Some things need cleaning up, but mostly I would like to see the [NVC] > become standard fair for off topic subjects. And to see Frydaye Follies > become a permanent part of the scene.

Some people will leave if this is done. Already, when people first sign up, they are often overwhelmed by the volume of mail and back out. If half of that mail is not even about vanagons, it will be that much worse.

[the list membership] is such a wealth of information it seems a waste not > to put it to use, even on [NVC] stuff at times. It sure has helped me in > other areas of life besides strictly Vanagon things. I would be more > than a bit lost not being able to communicate with such a great bunch of > folks about other things. In my view, there isn't another group out > there quite like this one.

I think there are several problems here. First of all, most people on this list didn't sign up to answer our questions about topics that aren't related to vanagons. So it seems kind of unfair to abuse their place on this list by sending them things they really didn't ask for. Yes, there are some simple technological solutions to this like filtering, etc., but something like that is always going to require a bit more work or computer-know-how than some valuable contributor is willing to invest just to stay on the list.

More importantly there are *plenty* of other lists out their just like this one. Why not go bother the volvo people with your unrelated posts ;-). But seriously, mailing lists are all over the place. And best of all, there are mailing lists that are actually *relevant* to peoples questions! Go to groups.google.com and do a search for what your interested in, and you'll find a group that's perfect to post in. Question about viruses or pop-ups? Post to Mikes Computer Problems/Solution tech support mailing list ( http://groups.google.com/group/Mikes-Computer-ProblemsSolution-tech-support?lnk=srg). Question about basic electronics not in the context of vanagons? Try the basic electronics group: ( http://groups.google.com/group/sci.electronics.basics?lnk=). The vanagon list might seem like an amazing resource about everything, but its really just an amazing resource about vanagons, and a mediocre resource about everything else (especially in the context of the internet). What's worse, using the list as our personal help desk abuses the membership (which is here for vanagons, and not the rest of our problems) and will put-off some valuable contributors.

-Wes