Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 23 Jan 2009 15:54:28 -0500
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson@GORGE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Odometer failed, any advice?

OK, I had mine apart this am and put a drop of crazy glue on the gear that is driven by the worm gear. Now it resets very smoothly...but it only will turn a few miles before it stops. When I had it out, I wanted to take off the needle and the faceplate to inspect all the gears to really see which might be out of whack but I was scared I would break the needle on my speedo trying to get it off. I pried, pulled and otherwise gently tried to get it off the central shaft..but it seemed pretty firmily mounted on there. Was I just being overcautious or is there a trick? I was hoping the one I could access with the speedo still fully assembled might be the malfunctioning one...but no such luck, I guess. So now I'll have to at least get that speedo face off so I can get some access to all the other gears and shafts. Is it really just B.F.F.I. that removes the needle? "Brute Force and F-- -ing Ignorance" or is there a trick? Thanks...Mikes article is a big help, yes. Don Hanson