Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 23 Jan 2009 17:55:53 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Odometer failed, any advice?
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson@GORGE.NET>

Don Hanson wrote: > OK, I had mine apart this am and put a drop of crazy glue on the gear that > is driven by the worm gear. Now it resets very smoothly...but it only > will turn a few miles before it stops. I went through all this with mine in my 88 GL. And I had all the faux pas. Broke the needle getting it off - it is after all 20 year old plastic. It was a Bi*ch getting the needle glued back together so it didn't look funny. Then there is the return spring under the needle. It's a bi*th to get that set right so the needle comes back and rests at the zero mark. Had to R@R the thing several times to get it right - and each time I had to remove that glued together needle to do it. Then there was the matter of the gear that kept disengaging. Tried the super glue. Worked then failed. Finally cut and shaped a metal finger and riveted it to the frame to hold the gear to the end of the shaft so it wouldn't slip and let the teeth disengage. That didn't work. Got to be an expert at R&R'ing that speedo. After weeks of hassle I bit the bullet and bought a new speedo. . Best move I ever made!

John Rodgers, 88 GL Driver