Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 23 Jan 2009 17:17:15 -0800
From:         Stephen Grisanti <bike2vcu@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Bear Attacks Camper NVC
Comments: To: "Gregory S. Morrison" <gsm@GREGORYSMORRISON.COM>

"FWIW, I've camped, hiked and picked huckleberries in a Grizzly habitat... Greg 86 Westy Syncro "

Perhaps having a 2WD Westy is a blessing in disguise if it keeps me from getting to far into griz country.

Stephen

--- On Fri, 1/23/09, Gregory S. Morrison <gsm@GREGORYSMORRISON.COM> wrote: From: Gregory S. Morrison <gsm@GREGORYSMORRISON.COM> Subject: Re: Bear Attacks Camper NVC To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Date: Friday, January 23, 2009, 2:22 PM

FWIW, I've camped, hiked and picked huckleberries in a Grizzly habitat. Make plenty of noise, stay together, carry pepper spray (stream variety rather than spray variety - travels farther and is less vulnerable to wind. Test it too so you don't discover it doesn't work while in the field), pay attention to your surroundings and THINK SMART! Additional firepower is a personal decision but you'd sure hate to not have it the one time you really needed it. It also helps to not be wearing clothing that may have residual food odors. All the bears I've encountered responded like big dogs. Honest. They've always taken off like they're in trouble. Of course, they probably weren't real hungry either. BTW, the really scary images of ferocious bears are usually pretty Hollywood. I've always been more worried about cougars than bears 'cause you might not hear them coming.

Always remember that animals are fairly predictable (instinct, you know) whereas people can be very unpredictable.

Hope this helps someone enjoy the great outdoors a little bit more.

Greg 86 Westy Syncro