Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 23 Jan 2009 23:33:00 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Air vs. Water
Comments: To: Jim Arnott <jrasite@EONI.COM>

FWIW...............since we're all chiming in here......I can not quite agree with the diesel recommendation. if you are after 'low tech, simple to work on........locally used......... I can support that 1600 air-cooled suggestion for sure. I just think the margins are thin on diesel engines........critical timing belt, interference engine..... injection pump that can leak or need rebuilding ...........engine itself has to be pretty healthy to create good combustion.........

heck......I've pulled an 1600 engine out of a Bus camped in a river bed, took it entirely apart by hand, and bicycled the crank shaft 12 miles to a VW shop ...........they are tinker toy engines......low tech........don't last that well.......... but they can run with a lot of things flakey on them.......and they are by design..... this is a traditional VW philosophy from those days .....50's, 60's , 70's, ....................so under powered that they can't tear themselves up too much, at least not for a while. 1600 air cooled parts should be super easy to get, and all over the place.

someone mentioned the modern Mexican VW Bug .....I had a friend with a 98..... believe it was 1600 cc's..........and as he said, fuel injected, with alternator........ and one thing that stood out for me......one piece cat and muffler, and while it had disc brakes in front, it had swing axle rear suspension.

I figure the only reason they do this is because it's cheaper to manufacture..........the same reason I suspect they did Bay Busses until about 2000 in Mexico.......built them new, with upright inline gas fours in the back, radiator on the nose......... instead of vanagons, is because Bay Buses must be cheaper to build, significantly, than vanagons. My theory anyway. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Arnott" <jrasite@EONI.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, January 23, 2009 6:24 PM Subject: Re: Air vs. Water