Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 24 Jan 2009 10:26:59 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Air vs. Water
Comments: To: Tieitup <tieitup@GMAIL.COM>

When coming South from Alaska once in 1995, I encountered a German couple in Whitehorse, Yukon, CA who were on tour in North America. They had flown in from Germany to Mexico City and purchased a VW bus just for this trip of a life time. To me, the bus looked to be about a '72 to a '78 model, but it was definitely a water cooled bus, not air cooled. It had a radiator stuck on the front, with a cowling or fairing around it to give it some kine of aerodynamic effect and to clean it up a bit, and the engine was definitely watercooled engine. In this case an upright inline 4 banger. Just what the designation was I don't know but it was something like what would be found in a Golf or similar. Gasoline, and not diesel. Now my encounter with the good German folk was in 1995, and that bus had been in production for a while before I ran into it, and has been in production ever since. What this means to travelers into Mexico is that you should encounter these vans everywhere. There has been 15 years plus of production being spread across Mexico, so they should be out there, mixed with the earlier aircooled models. So if youare travelig down there, and your Vanagon is an aircooled or one converted to an upright inline four Gemrna engine, then in all likely hood you will be able to find support for the engine at least, while you are on tour. As for the Vanagons with the water cooled WBX'er - I doubt there would be much support anywhere. Nor for the rest of the vehicle either.

Just my take.

Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver

Tieitup wrote: > Goood Morning all you early birds and worms alike, it's friday, a beautiful > cool day. I smell good for once and I have a debating question. > Air or Water. > > I have owned a 88 Westy for 3 Years, broke down a few times. always having > to do with water or air. > > You all sent me a few links for research in South Americas and I noticed > almost everyone who travels continents is air cooled. > > I love my 88 Westy for so many reasons. > It's dependable. > It's expandable > It's laasting > It's tested > > > So air or water? i'm leaning towards the air and busses you really can't > find the westy too much, popping always like I do. > > possibly i'll buy a bus but what, don't be pissed b/c its air cooled. pull > the rose out of your ass and smoke it amigo. > > > I have a great old VW parts yard in Austin, from Austin Veedub. They have > parts so possibly, I could make my own kitchen. > > > > Rambleing it's friday, see if you can make an sense of this. > > @dam > > >