Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 25 Jan 2009 20:15:35 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Finding trustworthy mechanics; was RE: heads- bus depot or
              van              cafe??
Comments: To: Robert Fisher <refisher@MCHSI.COM>

you 'always' refer to who sent you.... it tends to create some relationship on the spot. it's called 'networking' .....or I call it that. plus...........he's less likely to screw you if he knows his friend would find out about it, since you know his friend.

I've never had any problems with a machine shop about deception.. or switcheroo's. and shop-wise, I am a shop myself..... I would have to say 'most shops' are not very interested in spending your money the best way .... what they primarily do is look for 'justifiable and very profitable jobs.'

I have seen an automotive trade magazine article.........this is how bad it is ............advising shops to measure the height of every car they work on .......and if they find it a little low, even though everything about the car and suspension is fine............they should then say 'We found that your springs have sagged ma'am, and they need to be replaced. It's 800 dollars, but we can have it done this afternoon.'

listen.........seriously .......I am learning more and more and more every day.........'it's ALWAYS a scam'...........every time it's 'get this free for signing up for this' ....or whatever.............there are always hidden gotchas. just read the fine print on any credit card contract........it says they can do whatever they want, any time they want, without reason. and they'll lead you into pitfalls , intentionally........so you end up paying more. It really should be illegal. it's pervasive too. I have yet to see anything where they lead you down one path.... but they are responsibly warning you about potential pitfalls. No.......they act like there are none.........and then later.....'oh well........blah blah blah."

in Car repair, to me, the primary concerns are ....... spending your money on your car or van wisely. giving you good value for what you spend *quality of workmanship* ..........sorry, but fully half to 3/4 of all professional car work I see is somehow not right, sloppy , cheap parts etc. courtesy, developing trust, and being nice to deal with if something goes wrong.

I don't know how they started thinking it's 'normal' to scam people, or lie to them for personal gain........but it's very common in this culture. I say this country was not founded on freedom ( well, it was, FOR WHITE MALES ! ) .......... it's actually founded on greed and exploitation......and it runs back for the full history of white men in the US.

I sure wish that when they say 'these are the most fantastic perfect tires, the best you'll ever own.....and they're only 30 bucks each' .......... you know, when are they going to start telling the TRUTH. the Truth in that case is closer to 'we believe this is a good value in a low cost tire' ..............thank you, was that so hard !!?

I think I made my point. but seriously .........the regular consumer is to going more or less get manipulated into 'justifiable and profitable repairs for the shop '........... you know.........'well , you need a radiator, a thermostat, new coolant and all new hoses.' that's an 800 + dollar job, and they often slam it out in a few hours..........charge you more hours 'by the book time' than it really takes them..........use lower grade parts.........but they don't TELL you that part..........and they have their lesser techs do the job........often with crappy workmanship.

I hope that doesn't happen to anyone on this list.......but it does happen in the automotive repair world far too often.

last line........one of my 'sayings' ..........this is the common shop talking : "What, you want us to diagnose and examine the car carefully, explain the various choices and 'levels' of dong the job ( minimum get you home repair, medium best cost/benefit ratio/ or 'just everything like money is no object ) ........... tell you the quality of parts we're going to use......of give you that choice............give you an estimate that is realistic, and not likely to be 'upsold' ( upselling is when you call the customer back and sell them more work........Say you get them to agree to a 500 dollar repair..... and after you get in there............'well, it's worse than we thought.......it'll have to be 900 dollars' .......that's upselling, or it might be 'well, there's this other sort of tired part right nearby..........we should do that too this time < sometimes it's legit, sometimes it might even be intentional.........after all, they have your car all taken apart, and their tone is that you must do it ) ...so an estimate that they spend some time on making sure is realistic...... then do the job within budget, on time, using decent parts, and perfect workmanship......

'You want us to do THAT ????............we'd go out of business if we did that !!!"

Your crazy friend, Scott

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Fisher" <refisher@MCHSI.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, January 25, 2009 7:41 PM Subject: Finding trustworthy mechanics; was RE: heads- bus depot or van cafe??