Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 Jan 2009 16:56:09 -0700
From:         azsun99 <azsun99@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Automatic transmission cooler-advice wanted
Comments: To: "Ahlgrim, Kevin" <kahlgrim@IUSB.EDU>

Are you sure there is coolant mixed with the tranny fluid coming out of the fill tube? There are other reasons why fluid might be burping, such as plugged breather ports on top of the tranny. If indeed coolant has mixed with the fluid, yes, the tranny is toast, but now you also have fluid mixed with the coolant, so a thorough flush of the cooling system will be required. Hopefully, others more knowledgeable than I am, will lend their expertise. Good Luck. Jerry

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ahlgrim, Kevin" <kahlgrim@IUSB.EDU> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, January 22, 2009 1:55 PM Subject: Automatic transmission cooler-advice wanted

I believe my 1984 automatic transmission cooler has failed since I have fluid coming out my fill tube and from all the research I have done on this subject. I am looking for advice on how to fix the problem. I figure I have three choices:

1. Buy a new replacement for $300. The problem with this is that I only spent $300 for the Vanagon so to buy a part as much as I paid for it is hard for me.

2. Find a used good one. Is that possible?

3. Install an aftermarket cooler kit? Costs about half that of an original cooler but do they work as well? I guess if antifreeze doesn't mix with the transmission fluid then it is better.

Any help would be appreciated. I've only had this van on the road for about a month and I miss driving it already. Thanks, Kevin