Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 Jan 2009 18:16:50 -0700
From:         miguel pacheco <mundopacheco@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: South America & Mexico
Comments: To: Tieitup <tieitup@gmail.com>

Adam, there's lots of information on the web covering your intended route. You need to spend plenty of time just doing that in preparation for your trip. I will chime in as this thread progresses. You need to elaborate......what year Vanagon are you driving? What engine? As far as tools, there's lots of info about the recommended tool kit and I'm sure someone will chime in with a link. I have what works for me in each of my vans, but don't feel like naming every item when I know there is a link to someone's link coming your way. Frank Condelli has a good mechanical inspection list on his site. I can get that for you if you pmail. Fuel is a concern. Purchase the high octane stuff and only from obviously high traffic stations, if you can help it. Carry a couple of Jerry cans as spares. Trust your instincts. You can tell if you are taking a risk buying from certain places....right? You want a healthy engine (see mechanical inspection list above) and the spare parts are pretty obvious. I carry alternator, fuel pump, water pump, AFM, ECU, throttle body and switch, spark plug wires, assortment of wires and connectors, assortment of water hoses, belts, and all kinds...... of course it's a little easier for me to say this because I have parted out several vans and have plenty of stuff on hand. Travelers' checks........I would not know, but I have been all over places in Central America that I would not expect to accept them. I have used my Visa Debit Card with no problem and have gotten cash from lots of ATMs......one BIG word of advice : Never stick your card into an ATM that is not a slider/sweep style. If it is the type of machine that sucks your card.....and it keeps it. You will not get your card back from that bank as all cards that are retained are shredded.....supposedly. What if it's not shredded? Either way, you will have to cancel that card ASAP and it is often not easy to make long distance calls. Once you have your intended route and vehicle, you can pmail me for Mexico, Central America and South America contacts. Do you or fellow travelers? You need to read the suggested reading(links) that people are sending you!

Thanks, Miguel