Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2009, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 30 Jan 2009 12:18:35 -0800
From:         mdrillock <mdrillock@COX.NET>
Subject:      Total replacement for Westy Kitchen

I have decided to spend some time and money on a project I have been thinking about for a while. The idea is to replace the entire Westy kitchen cabinet with another one containing a modern electric only fridge and a reversed arrangement for the sink/stove top. By reversed I mean the sink closest to the bed and the stove closest to the driver's seat. I have already ordered a new stainless sink/stove top that is pretty near to the overall dimensions of the Westy stainless piece but with a bigger sink bowl. Starting with a new cabinet below it allows fridges of varying dimensions to be considered and this is where I need input. The fridge would likely be moved to behind the driver's seat, under the new stove to allow for sink plumbing access from the cabinet.

The newer electric only fridges have been fitted by many of us to replace the existing propane capable fridge. I have one of these already in my stretch though mine is much larger than the ones that fit into the Westy cabinet in place of the Dometic. The loss of ability to run the fridge on propane has some drawbacks but these are offset by the faster cooling and larger interiors of the electric models. A better 3 way fridge can also be had but these add such safety concerns to the retrofit as to rule them out in my mind. I don't know of any new fridges with the intake/exhaust snorkel that our Dometic have for safe propane operation.

My questions are for people who already have Vitrifrigo replacement for their Dometics. Is the interior size enough larger? Would you be willing to give up a little of the undersink cabinet space for even more inside fridge space? How long does your battery last,assuming only an aux battery setup under the driver's seat? Please, no solar panel or 110v hookup data.

Mark