Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2009, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 30 Jan 2009 15:53:46 -0500
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Electrical Question: Adding charger ports for accecories
Comments: To: Jeff Lincoln <magikvw@GMAIL.COM>

At 03:13 PM 1/30/2009, Jeff Lincoln wrote: >That makes sense. Probably would be best to run new wiring and use a >currently unused fuse space.

If you do decide to use the lighter circuit, plug E pin 3 on the fuse panel is an unused position that's connected to that circuit.

> We would use it to charge cell phone,

No sweat

> the kids PSP,

Dunno what that is...

>and power the XM radio.

Unless it has a big amplifier, no problem.

>Things like that. Occasionally we will use it with one of those plug in >inverters to charge the Laptop.

That's the one that will try to toast the plug. I'd recommend for that to install a polarized two-blade socket (boat places have them for trailer wiring, but they're not set up to panel-mount) and use the plug on the inverter. These are commonly available <http://www.reddenmarine.com/site/new-detail.cfm?id=CHR11172BP> but there are also round ones with flat pins that take less effort. If you make a short pigtail with a lighter plug on one end and the socket half of one of these on the other, you can still have the dubious benefit of using the inverter with a lighter socket.

Naturally if you use a plug/socket like the one I indicated, you'd use the exposed pin on the socket side for ground, and the female one for +12.

-- David Beierl - Providence RI USA -- http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage," '85 GL "Poor Relation"