Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2009, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 31 Jan 2009 17:16:26 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: 85gl gas leak near starter
Comments: To: Joe <fortino1@EARTHLINK.NET>

Where a fuel hose is crimp-clamed onto the plastic firewall fuel fitting ..........on the forward side, the starter ( non-engine ) side of the firewall........on that plastic fitting going through the fire wall........... They like to leak there. the repair, is to undo the fuel hose coming from the engine from the plastic firewall fitting, remove the plastic fitting and put in a remote corner of your workbench, for nice memories. then..........where it was leaking...........that hoes goes only a few inches until it connects to black plastic fuel hose coming from the fuel pump . Simply join the engine hose to the place plastic fuel line..... and use a quality screw-type hose clamp. That gives you just one clamped junction in that area - a nice solid repair.

I don't especially recommend 'just replacing hoses' ........IF you get the REAL right , genuine fuel injection hose, of very high quality, of the exact right size.........sure, then replace the fuel hoses. I read about people having problems, new problems, like leaks or mushy hose, after replacing fuel hoses. I don't especially believe that you we can even get hose as good as the original, although of course we should be able to, or even better. Just be careful........let's say that. 'all new hoses' can introduce problems easily. long enuf ! Scott

----- Original Message ----- From: "Joe" <fortino1@EARTHLINK.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Saturday, January 31, 2009 4:44 PM Subject: 85gl gas leak near starter