Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 3 Feb 2009 08:13:01 -0500
From:         Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Part locater
Comments: To: Andrew Philbrick <herrschildkrote@GMAIL.COM>

Andrew, I have the bubble flare tool and I bought bulk metal line from VW and then made up my own lines for the last Vanagon I replaced all of the brake lines on. This time I went to my local NAPA. I had all of the lengths measured out and I bought metal line from them that was already made up with ends on it and some couplers where the lines had to be longer than their longest one. It was really cheap and now I have machine made ends which look nicer than what I could make myself with my tool. Plus using the tool is super time consuming if you want to do a good job. I would recommend going this way. None of the vendors sell the long metal brake lines probably because they are too big of a pain to make and then a big pain to ship. Then there are some length differences between 2wd and Syncro. Do you see why this would not be worth it to a vendor to make up lines when you can go to NAPA and buy all the line you need for $30? How could we hope to compete with that? There may be someone out there that makes generic stainless line as well. Stainless is a pain to bend though.

Hope this helps, Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com

Andrew Philbrick wrote: > Hey guys - I can't seem to find this online at all. Does anyone know > who of our lovely online dealers sell the metal brake lines for the > Vanagon? I've looked through CIP,Vanagain,Van-cafe,Bus Depot, Bus Boys, > etc etc and can't find those metal lines. Am I stuck getting them from > the FLAPS only? > > Ideally, I would like to get Stainless steel metal lines. I plan to > upgrade to the Stainless steel flex lines and I am really tired of > dealing with rusted connections in the brake system. > > Any leads are appreciated. > > Andrew >