Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 3 Feb 2009 19:42:10 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Enlarged (ovaled) Radius Arm Hole Fix? PICS
Comments: To: neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>

In my opinion......... only welding - to repair the hole where the bushings mount. epoxy can not begin to hold. There's a lot of force going on that hole.

I'd probably weld a plate on one side. Not too thick, eight inch is too thick I think, about half that. weld on a plate with the right inside diameter, then fill in where the two holes meet, the new correct size one- leave that as is, and fill in the original material to the right size hole. then grind and file to the correct dimensions. I use a tapered bit ......cone shaped thing, and put it on a die grinder..........my Makita one does up to 14,000 rpm..... little pointy cone shaped hardened steel cutting bit........works great.

this group is FOR asking questions, so don't hold back !~ the rod...........I had one that was pretty trashed up ....... that part I wouldn't weld on ..... I put on a good used one.

( but the body part...........repair that very solidly. if using arc welding rod....... what I use, and it only works well with a DC arc welder..... is 7014 and 7018. '7014' is described as 'smooth fast easy '.......and it is. the arc is harder to get started than with 6011 and 6013........but it makes a very nice weld. 7018..........the '70' means 70,000 lbs tensile strength I believe....... I use that for things I absolutely never want to see come apart. I usually tack things in 7014, and finish weld them in 7018. )

, or use wire feed. Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "neil N" <musomuso@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, February 03, 2009 6:34 PM Subject: Enlarged (ovaled) Radius Arm Hole Fix? PICS