Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 4 Feb 2009 09:27:07 -0800
From:         Andrew Martin <campahvan@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Dash Cover recommendation
Comments: To: Michael Sullivan <sandwichhead@GMAIL.COM>

I purchased a brown one to hide the dried out and cracked dash in my '85 Westy. It fits surprisingly well right out of the box and is accurately cut out for the defrost vents. As new, it does not quite conform to the forward most vents though the instruction says it will conform better over time and exposure.

There are adhesive backed Velcro tabs included that need to be strategically applied to the dash board to hold the cover in place but I drove around for a couple of weeks without securing it and it never shifted position. I removed the ashtray first then reinstalled the ashtray with the edges over lapping the dash cover. The dash cover will need to be removed (or at least the driver's side) to access the brake/clutch fluid reservoir and the Velcro tabs allow for this.

I like the way it looks and I can now leave a pen or other small items on the dash tray section on the passenger side without it immediately sliding off into the foot well. I will need to apply a small adhesive backed Velcro tab to my plastic sunglasses case to keep it from sliding out of reach.

It's one of the best aesthetic improvements I've made to my van's interior and it's well worth the $40 that Go Westy gets for it. It may be available from other vendors but I used a Go Westy gift certificate I received for my birthday. How thoughtful!!

Andrew Bainbridge Island WA