Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 5 Feb 2009 15:58:12 -0800
From:         "dhanson@gorge.net" <dhanson@GORGE.NET>
Subject:      Solar Power ..

Hello from the sunny (usually) southwest US desert.

It seems that solar panels are finally catching on with the RV crowd in the desert southwest this winter. I've been camping, for extended periods, with one for some years. I have a single unregulated 22"x12" (Seimans M. 20) panel that I've been using for about 12 years. I simply put a lighter plug on it's output lead..with enough cord to reach my power point sockets (mounted inside the van on the side of the reefer by the vent) from anywhere around the van. I store it against the back of the passenger seat, behind a small jump seat/box I made to hold my porto pot. I use an S-hook from a bungee and I just hang the panel outside in the sun (usually from the rain gutter or the bumper) and run the cord/lighter plug inside to one of my double power outlet sockets. The simple setup lets me run my radio and lights for a few hours every morning and keeps my laptop charged. Takes about 30 seconds to hang the panel and plug it in. I use a second "coach" battery under the driver's seat, identical to my starting battery, to power all the non-motive electrical stuff I use around the van..I swap the two battery's positions periodically to keep them 'equal' and prolong their lives ...Probably not the best setup...but it's simple and it works for me. It is such a pleasant thing to NOT have to listen anymore(very often..) to multiple RV generators from every direction on a quiet still desert night..Most of the 'big rigs' now have 2-4 large solar panels, mounted on the roof with "Pop" going up his stepladder to 'erect' them on stands when they get settled into a spot..Right after "Mom" puts out the little tripod sat. dish for the TV and they get the other dish for internet signal/telephone up and running...

Anyhow, for a Vanagon, it certainly doesn't have to be too complicated, running on solar power for extended periods...and some good may have come from that spike in gas prices...the solar thing for RVs...

Don Hanson