Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 7 Feb 2009 11:03:56 -0800
From:         neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: [WetWesties] Mechanical Lesson Learned On the Road (Long)
Comments: To: Loren Busch <starwagen@gmail.com>
Comments: cc: Wetwesties <Wetwesties@yahoogroups.com>

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 11:07 PM, Loren Busch <starwagen@gmail.com> wrote: ....... If I assume somewhere before Borrego Springs then I got > about 70 miles on the battery alone and that was running with the headlights > on (and they are 80 watts each). I did NOT get a red warning light. If one > of the brushes goes (and one of mine seemed to have disappeared, more on > that later) you wont' get the red warning light. If you loose a belt and > the alternator isn't turning, yes, you will get the light. I've encountered > this in vehicles other than VWs over the years. BUT, and this is the first > lesson, WHEN I TURNED ON THE IGNITION SWITCH THE ALTERNATOR DASH LIGHT DID > NOT COME ON AS IT SHOULD WHEN EVERYTHING IS OKAY. I checked this before > replacing the regulator. But who actually pays any attention to the test > mode on those lights when starting anyway? Well, I think I will in the > future. Another lesson also learned. Part way over the windy, twisty, up > and down road my gas gauge was telling me I'd used nearly half a tank of gas > in 55 miles. I knew I was bucking a hell of a headwind that day but it > never dawned on me that the gauge was reading wrong because of low voltage. > > Second Lesson: DON'T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT THESE: http://tinyurl.com/bqrrj6

Great real life info Loren.

Who looks at idiot lights prior to starting the engine? I installed this: http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/highpressureoilswitchbuzzer for my engine conversion. Now I get a "secret" pleasure staring at the blinking red oil light prior to starting the engine. Truly mesmerizing ;) But your point is important. Oil light is another one to watch too during warm up.

I wondered how useful having the aux battery correctly connected to the starter would be. Sounds very convenient to me.

And..... I had never thought of carrying a spare set of brushes. I used to carry a spare alternator, but your spare part plan makes more sense. Thanks for showing pic of tool used. I don't even own one of those!

Neil.

-- Neil Nicholson '81 VanaJetta "Jaco"

http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines