Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 2 Feb 2009 11:33:08 -0500
From:         pdooley <psdooley@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Megasquirt....RE: Boxer electronics options?

Unfortunately MS is not legal. It is marketed for off road use. I suspect it could be programmed to run cleaner than digifant. MS can interface with a modern wideband O2 sensor, which is much more precise than the factory narrow band O2's used in stock applications.

You can monitor and adjust the AFR through the datalogging function. Actually, you can check all parameters- coolant temp, MAP, rpm, AFR, intake air temp, TPS, injector duty cycle, pulse width and spark angle. These parameters can be loaded into a graphical viewer for a clear picture of all values vs. time. You can tweak the AFR in lean or rich areas in your datalog by editing fuel tables in the software. You can also adjust spark angle, of course.

MS can run on WBX engine using the factory hall sensor for RPM measurement and spark control. The system is set up to use cheap, reliable GM coolant and air temp sensors or can be programmed to accept input from the factory bosch sensors. You get to ditch your AFM as the MS uses a GM MAP sensor mounted onboard. The GM MAP sensor can be replaced if it ever fails(unlikely, and very cheap if it does).

As I said many times before, MS is a fantastic engine management system, but the learning curve is tremendous. I wouldn't try to install this setup on my vanagon over a weekend if I needed the vehicle for work Monday. It's like anything else in life, you get out of it what you put in. You wanna spend a lot of time learning about it, it will reward you. It is definitely not plug and play, and no good in emission checking states, even though it would probably run cleaner than stock.