Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 2 Feb 2009 19:10:49 -0800
From:         Loren Busch <starwagen@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Shock Absorbers for Vanagon (2WD)
Comments: To: Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@gmail.com>

RE: KYB vs Bilstein At the chance I'll start a 'shock flame war' here I'm going to expand on my previous comment. When I acquired my '90 Westy seven years ago I immediately ordered and had installed a set of new KYBs. Drove it that way for four years but really really didn't like the harsh behavior on anything but the smoothest of pavement. So I ordered Bilsteins for the front and had them installed. Then took off from Washington headed to Hollister to attend SDM 2006 (but in a 2wd, just there to watch). When I got to Santa Cruz I had Volks Cafe install the rear Bilsteins, I liked what the Bilsteins in front were doing that much. A few miles down the road I grabbed the FRS walkie talkie and told my traveling partner (in his '87 Westy) "I've got a true road cruiser" the difference was that great for me. Last spring I had installed the Van-Cafe/Syncro Org 2wd springs. Yesterday I returned from a near 4,200 mile three week trip and I couldn't be happier with the ride and handling (on Nokian Hakka CS tires, 185R14s). The Bilsteins are a little soft in the initial travel, you will feel a little more roll/sway going into a turn than with the KYBs, but they stop at the right point, give a great feel and sense of control. To me the Bilsteins defiantly fell more 'sure footed' especially on anything other than a perfect, smooth road. I don't doubt that there is a shock setup out there that may be better if your are willing to pay the premium for essentially custom shocks but for now I'm a happy camper.