Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 10 Feb 2009 13:16:12 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon front sheet metal--tie bars structural?
Comments: To: Karl Mullendore <groups@WESTYVENTURES.COM>

I would probably cut those out, then weld them back in later.

On anything that has crash engineering in mind when it was designed..... crumble zones etc..........( not that a vanagon has a front crumble zone especially ) I tend to keep it just like it is, for safety and liability reasons.

I agree, that given that huge beam going across the front...........which is obviously there to minimize 'smashing in' of the front ......... those little vertical bars don't look like they factor in much at all.

still..........if you're working on someone's van or car professionally and you modify something that's crash and safety related... and something ever were to happen and a lawyer for the damaged party gets involved.............you get my drift.

Highly unlikely that would happen .......but it sure would be awful if it did. So I tend to be very, very careful about changing anything that's a safety or crash engineering feature. .......... and you really can't be sure how all those parts interact together.

I remember noticing something on an Audi hood or inner front fenders once.............I'm thinking, why is that part shaped like it is ? .....or why does it have those odd shaped cut outs in it ? .............it had to be engineered-in crushabilty ........controlled deformation of the front structure........ Us normal wrenches can't always tell what black magic has gone into crash and crumple engineering. I suggest just cut 'em out carefully, weld 'em back properly.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Karl Mullendore" <groups@WESTYVENTURES.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2009 12:32 PM Subject: Vanagon front sheet metal--tie bars structural?