Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 10 Feb 2009 15:28:00 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: The real story about the invention of the WBX?
Comments: To: Zeitgeist <gruengeist@GMAIL.COM>

good point..........the waterboxer engine is closer to the 'forever' 1600 air cooled engine, than it is to the Type IV engine.

even the valve covers are the same...........and the exhaust ports, or very closely the same... the waterboxer is really a water-jacketed bored and stroked 1600 air cooled engine.

about whether waterboxer engines are 'good' or not........ I like to say ........... It would be one thing if it was just marginally powered. It would be another thing if it was a fabulous engine with a weak headgasket arrangement..........

but to have both those things going against it..........marginal power and joke head gaskets. ...... sorry Charlie !

If ever there was a good example of 'theoretical engineering' that is supposed to work just fine, but doesn't actually out in the real world of day to day driving and 20 + year old vehicles...... it's the joke head gasket system on waterboxer engines. It doesn't even have 'head gaskets' in the congenital sense. just a metal ring to seal in combustion, a tiny green o-ring to keep coolant away from the metal ring on top of the barrel..... and those little o-rings get rock hard after maybe 7 years and can't really seal that well...... and the 'outer water retention rubber gasket' ..........a pure joke. I can't think of one other engine in the entire world that uses this system. It is truly a lash-up and an 'overnight, emergency, adaptation' of an air-cooled design.

I consider the normal life of the 'head gaskets' to be about 80,000 miles. I will say though......... the bottom ends........ darn good ! particularly the 1.9 .................those will do 250,000 miles on the bottom end with just head jobs every once in a great while - easily. 2.1's are a little more challenged in the rod bearings from what I've been able to gather.

but we do love 'em ! Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Zeitgeist" <gruengeist@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2009 2:24 PM Subject: Re: The real story about the invention of the WBX?