Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 11 Feb 2009 17:40:21 -0600
From:         Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: The real story about the invention of the WBX?

Scott, you picked an extreme example to make your point. Most of us have not spent that kind of money on a conversion. We got into factory westies and vanagons pretty cheap. I just went through a waterboxer engine last summer and after I did was hit with waves of electrical problems to overcome (not related to the rebuild). I would not care to rebuild another one.

I can go through a diesel in just over a weekend after I get it back from the machine shop. And then I don't have to touch it for years.

I never got the kind of reliability from my gasser in later years. I was in my parts place for something all the time. The diesel, I just drive it. It's been a good, cheap car for me that I've had a lot of fun with and done a lot of camping in. Still doing it.

Jim

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 3:40 PM, Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote: > why would anyone want a diesel ( btdt ) ..... > except for the better fuel milage, they are costlier over the long run to > purchase, own, operate, and repair, or at least 'quite often' they are. > > typical example....... > nice used geman -made AAZ went into a vanagon.......the techician/owner took > it to hawaii where he does rental westy's. > it was a darn tight and good AAZ too, only about 40,000 miles on it. Ran > perfect. > He spent.......you know........about 5 grand on that conversion, perhaps a > bit more. Twice what the westy he put it in cost. > > got about a good year and a half out of it. > The engine 'overheated' or somehow failed with a rental customer driving it. > I asked him about it just last night even ...........the head is completey > trashed. > he put a waterboxer back in. > > diesel engines can do harm to themselvses in ways that gasoline engines > can't ........like a bad injector causing damage in a combustion chamber. > They depend on the condition of the engine itself to create > combustion........if that gets a little weak.........and you don't get > complete combustion. > they are an interferece design and have a critical timing belt..... > and a few other things ....... > > I'll build 'em , or sell 'em .........but I'm tellin' ya ..........'a good > portion of the time' they are not cheaper to purchase, operate, repair, and > own, even if they do get 30 to 40 % better fuel economy on more expensive > fuel. > They do have great low end torque though, > and you can run plant-based fuels, yes.....no argument there. > and sometimes they have a nasty habbit of smoking, smelling, and rattling > and vibarating. > put it this way ........... > they do not make good 'old' engines. They make good expensive new engines. > > the subaru diesel may have some 'not vanagon' friendly > characteristics.........like CAN BUS electronics, > and a too low turbo location for syncro's and off road use.........but > turbo's can be moved too. They're only 2 liters also. > > but it's all fun, and I think mainly the real 'thrill' of diesel is 'being > different' than the masses. I 'did vanagon diesel about 8 years btw ) > And I won't argue with good low end torque.......you got me there for sure ! > ...particularily in TDI's. > > your crazy freind. > > ( and I won't even mention a guy I know with a 2004 tdi jetta....... > had an injection pump rebuid that cost about $ 2,000 ........a part that a > fuel injected gasoline doesn't even have...........then it cost about > another $ 900 to get another shop to really dial in the timing belt and > timing exactly right. Ain't no ecomomy there Martha ! ) > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Allan Streib" <streib@CS.INDIANA.EDU> > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Wednesday, February 11, 2009 12:25 PM > Subject: Re: The real story about the invention of the WBX? > > >> On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 14:02:55 -0600, "John Rodgers" <inua@CHARTER.NET> >> said: >> >>> Japanese have transmuted it into a very fine piece of modern machinery - >>> the Suburu flat four.- and now the flat six and most recently a flat >>> diesel all of which evidently can fit nicely into a Vanagon. >> >> I soooo wish we could get that Subaru boxer diesel here..... >> >> Allan >