Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 11 Feb 2009 16:05:04 -0800
From:         mdrillock <mdrillock@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Bucking, hesitation between 1500 and 2500 RPM when hot
Comments: To: Jerry <jbvelo@bellsouth.net>

There are small or big mistakes in all of the sources of testing procedures and wiring diagrams. The Pro Training manual is wrong in that it treats all 2.1 years the same when they are not the same.

Wherever that test for ECU pin 12 to FP relay pin 87 came from, it is wrong to say Zero ohms expected. The actual expected reading depends on the version of the 2.1 FI harness you have. If you look at the 1990 Bentley diagram you will see an important change to this area in that the injector power comes from the FP relay instead of the ECU relay. This change actually may have occurred earlier than 1990 and my old 1988 had the 1990 setup. It sounds like yours has the 87 type setup. What are the last 6 digits of your vin?

Mark

Jerry wrote: > Thanks for responses concerning my "bucking and hesitation" > problem. I worked on my Vanagon today with fresh ideas after > reading all suggestions provided. Here is what I came up with: > > The "Green" 02 sensor wire is shielded as you all have indicated. > My 02 sensor wire is clean, does not interfere with the shielded > section of the wire. I tested the wire per the Bentley and those > continuity tests passed. > > I also did all of the pin to pin tests as stated in the Bentley. > All continuity and voltage tests passed within specification listed > in the Bentley. I do have a question concerning the continuity > test for: > Terminal #12 at the ECU end of the harness and terminal #87 at the > fuel pump relay. I performed this continuity test and the result was > infinite resistance(open circuit). I am confused about this circuit. The > continuity test I performed is listed in the Digifant Pro Training Manual. > It is not listed in the Bentley. > > http://www.obsolyte.com/vanagon/VanagonProTraining/DigiFant/040.jpg > > According to the Pro Training Manual this tests the fuel injectors > and wiring. This check is for total resistance which should be 3-5 ohms. > > As I stated, my test indicated an open circuit between terminal #12 > and terminal #87 of the fuel pump relay. Is the Pro Training Manual > correct?? > Could the Pro Training Manual be wrong?? > > I tested for continuity between terminal #12 and terminal #86 of the fuel > pump relay, the result was 4 ohms. > > According to the Bentley wiring diagram page 97.106, the white wire from > terminal #87 at the fuel pump relay goes directly to the fuel pump. I > checked continuity from terminal #87 to the fuel pump connector. This > reveled 000 ohms which according to the Bentley is correct. > > I did not see a test in the Bentley for checking continuity between > terminal #12 and terminal #87 at the fuel pump relay. I did check the > continuity of the injectors per the Bentley with the following results: > #1 INJ 16 ohms > #2 14 ohms > #3 14 ohms > #4 14 ohms > > I also made sure my grounds were good. > > Thanks for your help!! > > > > >