Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 11 Feb 2009 20:08:51 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: The real story about the invention of the WBX?
Comments: To: Karl Mullendore <groups@WESTYVENTURES.COM>

well Karl..... I really must say.......when You present your case for Diesels. I am pretty convinced. No denying what you say and how you present it.

I thought of you when I wrote that........that 'mostly' diesels have bene quite good for you. I'm not so sure that 1.8 Turbo is so cost effective engine to own.....I hear they are touchy about some things... and do have expensive problems sometimes.

the 2004 jetta guy just reported those figures and his expereince to me. I realize that's a PD engine and shouldn't have written 'injection pump'..... though that's how he expressed it. One thing I do know that's most likely true is it's not that old a car and it cost him a lot in repairs, and I feel that it being a diesel was a factor. I sure don't say the 1.8T version is better- they're scary too from what I hear.

I appreciate all that you say...... and I still get the impression people are having expensive issues with diesels, TD's and tdi's based on what I read and hear about. and yes.....gasoline engines blow too..... but, and not having done actual tracking of hard numbers.......it seems that there are significant and expensive vw diesel failures here and there........a bit too frequently in my opinion.

our diesel is about 2.60 a gallon here, while gas is 2.15. anyway.......just as long as people enjoy their diesels and feel that they are getting good value, even if they do cost at lot in repairs sometimes. I'll have to try tracking that. it would be most interesting to see what Consumer Reports says about modern VW cars and tdi's in terms of cost of owning one, and reliabilty. There's an outfit that really tracks that stuff.... though I'm not sure that they distinguish be engine type. I also think it's healty for someone to represent the other view, but I am sincere when I say the attraction is more the mystic of diesel, rather than the pure practicality of it.........though I do acknowledge the positive features I mentioned.

lol..........stay cozy ! scott

----- Original Message ----- From: "Karl Mullendore" <groups@WESTYVENTURES.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, February 11, 2009 2:36 PM Subject: Re: The real story about the invention of the WBX?