Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 12 Feb 2009 10:41:04 -0800
From:         "Gregory S. Morrison" <gsm@GREGORYSMORRISON.COM>
Subject:      Re: 1986 Syncro vs. later models
Comments: To: John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>

John and List- This is what I sent to Ben. Non-camper Syncros aren't nearly as spendy as the camper versions.

Ben- I have a mid-year 1986 Syncro Weekender. Over the course of eleven years it's been great. The only complaint I've heard about the early 1986 models is something about the Syncro's viscous coupling...without any explanation as to why that year was an issue. I've never had a problem in that regard and I've never heard that complaint again. (The only reason I mentioned it is because it came from an otherwise very reliable source.) >From what I know, possibly not much, they're pretty much the same mechanically.

One other person didn't like the brown/tan interior of that time period. But I like it fine so that's just a matter of preference.

We had a record snowfall this past December and my wife and I used our Syncro more than our much newer Forester.

Although they need their regular TLC, as is the case with every VW we've owned, and they've all been really nice ones, the benefits are worth it to us.

Of all the hints and suggestions you may receive, if the one you buy has a manual transmission I recommend having the 4th gear replaced for more efficient highway cruising. Most VW pros know about and endorse this mod.

Hope this helps. Feel free to email if you have any other questions. Have fun! Greg