Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 Feb 2009 11:19:08 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Mocal sandwich plate plus oil cooler equals overcooling
Comments: To: John Bange <jbange@GMAIL.COM>

will try to keep this short. I am under the impression that The Issue is ........ it runs at proper cooling system temp,,,,,,,,,but there is bubbling in the coolant pressure bottle.

( couldn't quite decipher this : "the bubbles vanish as> soon as the his the pressure tank and condense." )

tell me this ............does coolant disappear in any way, ever ? are 'the only symptoms' that the coolant bubbles and the oil is too cool ?

in all cases of mysterious unsolvable problems, I say..........go back to the basics. starting with a leak down test. I had a very nice case recently where doing a leak down test on each cylinder, with the pressure bottle cap removed, so coolant level in it could be observed.............on # 2 cylinder there was a very distinct rising of the coolant level in the pressure bottle while leak down testing that cylinder. Once the head was pulled it was quite obvious there had been coolant in the combustion chambers of that head.

It is possible to have a water pump that doesn't leak or show any of the common water pump failure modes, and it still fails to pump correctly..........but that is extremely rare. The most likely reason that would ever occur is a odd aftermarket water pump that's not quite built to correct specs in the first place...... There is also corrosion of the water pump housing, ( reducing head pressure that the pump can produce ) ..... .............which is part of the block on a waterboxer......... but that's pretty rare too. Scott

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Bange" <jbange@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, February 12, 2009 6:17 PM Subject: Re: Mocal sandwich plate plus oil cooler equals overcooling