Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 Feb 2009 13:56:31 -0800
From:         Walter Houle <whoule@ECSCONTROLS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Transmission Noise ?
Comments: cc: daryl@aatransaxle.com, Scott Daniel - Turbovans
          <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>

Problem solved! Here's a final update: When we last discussed this, two very experienced list members weighed in on it. Scott suspected either the wheel bearings or the transmission, and Daryl suspected nothing but wheel bearings. Their difference was simply a matter of "a pinion".

It turned out it was a bad wheel bearing. I restricted driving the van to short trips, and eventually the noise got worse enough that it became easy to find. It was the new left rear inside bearing, and it had a cracked race. Better yet, the shop replaced all 4 under warranty, which was awesome. I'm happy it wasn't the transmission, but when it does go Daryl & Scott will certainly get my business. Thanks for all of the advice guys (and to the others who commented), it was very much appreciated. Desert trip this weekend!

Walter

-----Original Message----- From: aatransaxle [mailto:daryl@aatransaxle.com] Sent: Thursday, January 15, 2009 9:40 AM To: Walter Houle Subject: Re: Re: Transmission Noise ?

Wheel bearing ..period...Just because they were repl doesn't mean they are good. Esp considering they started being noisy just after replacing them... Wheel bearings..period.

-----Original Message----- From: Scott Daniel - Turbovans [mailto:scottdaniel@turbovans.com] Sent: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 9:27 PM To: Walter Houle; vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Re: Transmission Noise ?

Well ! How kind, considerate, and helpful that you've answered my questions so thoroughly - what a pleasure !

ok.......a cyclic donning......cyclic any time the rear wheels are turning. Does the frequency of the cyclic sound speed up with more road speed ? -

probably I'd guess.

my hunch is towards either rear wheel bearings or the Ring and Pinion, or the side bearings .........the large side bearings that support the ring

gear......or ring gear holder.

I would tend to lean away from thinking it's the rear wheel bearings if both sides have been done, and both sides checked. Seems unlikely there would be a problem with both sides. I suppose faulty new parts or workmanship is possible. Fwiw......I've never had a problem with them after doing them.........but I also wonder if the quality of parts has gone down from say, 8 years ago.

another thing making me lean toward the transmission is the high miles on it. And worn side bearings in the ring and pinion area matches the symptom. Be nice if you had another trans to try.

oh.............all right.........here is a listening test you can do in flight. Have someone else drive so it's doing the noise.........and put

your ear right on the shift knob...... or your listening stick. If the cyclic droning sound is there at the shift knob, from sounds coming up the shift linkage..........again, my vote is 'trans' .....especially the side bearings at the R & P......or the R & P gears.

there's no way you can reach much to listen to while driving with the engine cover removed.....plus engine noise and road noise would be a lot. I suppose you could get a thin listening stick onto the top of the trans..........that might work.

if it does it at say 40 mph 'in the air' .......jacked up and running.........if it makes the noise under those circumstances, you should be able to isolate it. it's really fun to put your listening stick on various things...... and a baseball bat, if that's what you used, is too big. You can hear injectors clicking, listen to the alternator bearings, listen to the distributor turning...... listen to the fuel pump internally ...........anything you can think of that moves or flows......you can listen to it very nicely this way. I happen to have some long slender teak wooden rods.........they work great. I'd think the denser the wood the better it might be at transmitting noises.

And ..........there are some things that you just can not identify until

taking them apart. I'm leaning toward the trans...........and if it'll do it running at 40 mph or even faster in the air..........you should be able to find it. try that listening to the shift linkage going down the road too. The shift linkage makes a great noise transmitter for transmission noises sometimes. Awaiting your next report. Tanks again for the comprehensive answers.........Sometimes it feels like .I don't see all that much intelligent expression and cooperation on internet groups ....... some for sure, but it's not like it's 'the normal thing' . Like you know...........someone that interacts and writes with enough information for the other party or members to actually understand them easily ! Soooo nice when that happens. Pleasure to read your intelligent and well-written responses. I'm thinking trans right now. Scott

----- Original Message ----- From: "Walter Houle" <whoule@ECSCONTROLS.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 8:11 PM Subject: Re: Transmission Noise ?

Sorry, the original thread got really long so I clipped off a lot of it. Here's some quick answers. Scott's questions are in quotes: