Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 15 Feb 2009 08:13:07 -0800
From:         John Bange <jbange@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: VW bus and beetle on Yahoo's 10 deadlies car list. Any thruth?

> My guess is that the list is a product of a clueless journalist > who did little real research.

I'd have to agree. I like this choice quote about the T2:

"If a head-on collision didn't do you in, there was always the potential for engine fires from the under-aerated engine"

So he think that LACK of air creates a fire hazard? This guy is pulling reasons out of his ill-informed hind end. A quick read pretty much confirms that this entire list was smugly spun out over beers at the pub and written on the back of a napkin, the "research" of the facts being nothing more than trusting that he and his drinking pals are always right. About the only item on the list that qualifies as a proven deadly vehicle is the Ford Pinto, but that one's a given when you are working on a list of unsafe cars. The Corvette is deadly because the fiberglass body shatters on impact? The Porsche 930 is deadly because it can be driven beyond its limits by a novice driver? The Beetle was deadly because they offered the Eberspacher heater for a few years? Gimme a break. There was no research here. Just a couple guys spinning off a quick "Top 10 List" because they needed to meet a deadline. This becomes more obvious when you see the byline, which indicates Yahoo simply "syndicated" the list from that bastion of responsible journalism AskMen.com. One look at that site and you can tell just what sort of rocket scientists write their content.

-- John Bange '90 Vanagon - "Lastwagen" '90 Vanagon GL - "Wiesel"