Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 Feb 2009 11:50:13 -0900
From:         Mark Tuovinen <mst@AK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Broken Window - Angry...
Comments: To: Jeff Michal <jeffmichal@YAHOO.COM>

Sorry to hear of your break in. My van was also the victim of a break in through the passenger window once. One evening the employee of the store next to ours watched a guy throw a rock through the window and steal a shoulder bag that I had foolishly forgotten was there. He got away with a bunch of business paperwork and my checkbook. The next morning someone found and returned the bag and paperwork but the fannypack with checkbook was gone. The checks came back one at a time from the collections company after being written to local businesses. Though I was not liable for the loss it took five months to clear everything up. They never found the person that broke in, but as part of a larger investigation, did catch and prosecute the woman that used my checks. If I recall correctly she pled out and was sentenced to four years.

As for replacing the window, it is not hard to do. The "cliff notes" version off the top of my head are; pull the interior door panel and carefully remove the water shield. Remove the inner and outer belt moldings(wiper seals at bottom of window opening), and the rubber run channel for the glass. The glass is held to the regulator by two bolts. I do not recall it being necessary to remove the vent window assembly. Your shop vac will come in handy because there will be glass in places you do not even know exist, and you will be finding more a year from now. It gets under the carpet, in the dash, in the seat tracks, battery compartment, map pockets, etc. While you have the door apart clean and lube all moving parts.

Mark in AK

----- Original Message ----- From: Jeff Michal <jeffmichal@YAHOO.COM> Date: Wednesday, February 18, 2009 6:55 am Subject: Broken Window - Angry... To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM