Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 19 Feb 2009 17:08:06 -0600
From:         Max Wellhouse <dimwittedmoose@CFU.NET>
Subject:      Re: Fuel Line Freezing

Pump runs for the 3 seconds regardless of temp when the key kicks in, but from about 25 degrees down to 10 F, it gradually takes longer to start and below 10 degrees, it' rarely will start. Wind chill makes no difference(and it shouldn't). The symptoms are such that the motor will cough like it's getting spark and fuel(not sure if too much or not enough) and the colder it is, the more elapsed time occurs between each cough. The longer the starter grinds, eventually the coughs get more frequent and eventually it will start. The killer in all this is that I have roll started this thing(when there's adequate gradient in the road(to deal with the stiff tranny grease and stiff wheel bearing grease) and adequate traction when the clutch pops, it starts right up.

I have not put the Heet in the tank as I have been told by many folks that the Gasahol type gas already has the alcohol in there and doesn't need gas line antifreeze additives. I assume the water if it's there, is coming in from the gas station.

Thanks

DM&FS