Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 19 Feb 2009 19:08:14 -0500
From:         craig cowan <phishman068@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Steering wheel removal
Comments: To: "Gregory S. Morrison" <gsm@gregorysmorrison.com>

It's real easy to do.

FIrst, pop out the center section of the steering wheel (It's square ish, has the VW symbol on it, the section you push on to make the horn honk). You can usually just grab it in the front or back and pull up on it, it will pop up. Now unplug the two spade connectors that are attached to this. Take that now detached horn section, and throw it into the passanger seat for later. See the big nut? That's what holds the wheel on. I believe it's a 23mm but it could be anything from 20-24, i can't remember exactly. Put your socket wrench on there, with an extension if necessary, and give it a twist. You might have to hold onto the steering wheel while doing this. With the nut off, the wheel is now loose (even if it doesnt seem like it). It's fit around splines on the steering shaft. Use a 2 arm puller or give it a whack from the backside with a hammer/mallet.

That's it. It just popped off in your hands and you can throw it on the passanger seat for later as well.

-Craig '85GL turned WESTY