Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 15 Feb 2009 13:52:48 -0600
From:         joel walker <uncajoel@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Re: VW bus and beetle on Yahoo's 10 deadlies car list. Any thruth?

> Is there any objective truth to this? I once saw an article that > despite the obvious challenges in making a forward cab vehicle safe > in head on collisions, the T3 bus/vanagon is in fact one of the > least > accident prone vehicles in the insurance statistics. Obviously

no truth ... just opinions by uninformed biased idiots. my insurance company, usaa, gives me a safe-vehicle discount on my vanagons ... because the chances of serious injury is LESS than in comparable vehicles. so i kinda don't see how it (or the previous generations, which are pretty much the same design) could be 'deadly'.

> accidents are caused by vehicle plus driver. (The no 6, Corvette, > on the list might have been safer if marketed as an "Oldsmobile" to > that segment of GM customers.)

i MIGHT agree that the corvette is 'dangerous' simply because it is a very low car. but then so are the triumphs, mg's, fiats, porsches, and all the other 'sports cars' of the 60's and 70's, so why not pick them as well?

this all smacks of ralph nader and his 'unsafe at any speed' crusade years ago, against the gm corvair and the volkswagen beetle. road & track magazine took him to task on the beetle and redid his 'research' ... only to find out he flat lied. the research groups/papers he had cited did NOT support his conclusions ... quite the opposite: they pointed out that the beetle was rather a safe car design for the times, certainly no worse than the fords and chevrolets.

people who didn't live though those years and don't do enough research forget how dangerous automobiles were back then ... i can recall a mechanic in my home town being killed by a fan blade flying off and hitting him in the head ... the holding rivet had rusted from boil-over from the radiator. we have plastic radiator fans nowadays, possibly partly due to such accidents. and there were LOTS of things just as dangerous ... non-shattering window glass, pointy objects in the dash, poorly anchored seats, no seat belts, no 'crush zones' ... i recall another accident that involved two large american cars, head on crash. the engine of one car wound up in the front seat with two people and the transmission crushed the legs of one fellow in the rear seat. it really is a wonder any of us survived accidents back then. :(

but to pick on just ten? and especially the beetles and buses? no, this is just garbage. unfortunately it went out over the internet and will be perceived as 'truth' by millions of people, most of which will shake their heads and mutter sagely " i knew it all the time". :(

unca joel