Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 21 Feb 2009 15:22:58 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: They're GIVING Vanagons away in San Diego!
Comments: To: mark drillock <mdrillock@COX.NET>

'why shops can't figure it out'............... two factors pop into my mind. 'Many shops' are too busy.....even harassed feeling.........with cars to fix. They get used to OBD and computers telling them where to focus their attention when something doesn't work right. A vanagon doesn't have that capability of course. So they would have to *actually think* and dig and trace wires and use wiring diagrams ..........or do tests on components. There's more and easier money to be made on other cars.

2nd factor..........For many shops............if they fear it's going to be a 10+ hour weird project to figure out......... they get nervous because they could be into it way, way too many hours........... more than they could charge for almost......... so for really weird things they are leery to even get involved. And besides.................there are many cars needing plain jobs like timing belts, water pumps, brake jobs etc that are readily profitable. so why should they go digging in a 20+ year old vanagon given that ? ....... I wish they would...... and I wish they actually cared about delivering good value to the customer.

it's not that the vans are hard to fix............we know that. They can be tricky at times...... but for 'the average consumer' having to deal with either VW dealerships ( and even they don't know squat about vanagons sometimes ) ............. or regular car repair shops........ people do not have access to quality, caring, repair at a reasonable cost. ..............thus beatiful vanagons show up in junkyards. Durn shame.

I notice that too............not crashed. Just saw a Eurovan myself in a junkyard..........not rolled or crashed or smashed or rusted....... interior clean even .........but there it sits forlornly in the boneyard...........likely because the owner took it to some shop for a problem...... and qot a quote for an entire engine reubild........or auto trans replacement ............that was more than the van's owner could handle........ so they just gave up on it.

well, I'm saving as many as I can afford to. And, given the incredible versitality of vanagons ........... the good ones will just go up in value.

about an 84 passenger vanagon .............even running those can hardly be given away. There must have been gajillions of 84's sold. I have one just like that one in the ad........ belongs to a buddy of mine...........but it should go to a new home. it's all there except the trans. Don't want much for it either.....located in southern oregon. Will also sell major components and parts off it. 84 with manual trans, no PS. named Bruinhilda, if that matters ! scott

----- Original Message ----- From: "mark drillock" <mdrillock@COX.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, February 20, 2009 5:31 PM Subject: Re: They're GIVING Vanagons away in San Diego!