Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 21 Feb 2009 17:38:20 -0800
From:         Stephen Grisanti <bike2vcu@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Fun junkyard Saturday

I went to fetch the Eurovan seats for the Westy project and had them out in minutes, fortunately because just as I was leaving home I grabbed the multi-folding Torx tool I bought a few months ago.  Needed two sizes and would have been steamed to get there and discover I needed that tool and know I left it at home.  While there I looked around a bit and found the one remaining Vanagon (several bays still) and grabbed the passenger grab handle for my driver’s side.  That van still has the complete overhead front A/C unit but the van is a shed for aircooled engines.

The fellow has been getting rid of the old carcasses during the times of high scrap steel prices, now over.  The nice complete rust-free two-tone-blue early sunroof passenger Vanagon I saw last visit must have gone to the crusher.  Someone should have saved that van.  During a windstorm a tree fell on a patch of Beetles, squashing about a dozen of them.  Also, he sold his junkyard dog; his homemade Frankensyncro flatbed tandem-rear-axle tow truck.  Wish I’d gotten a picture of that during my last visit.

My seats came out of a ’93 passenger EV and he also has a ’93 EV MV with a very nice complete grey interior with table, jumpseats, curtains and poptop.   I wanted these nicer grey buckets but he would not part that one out.  I think he’s being unrealistic asking two grand for that van, as it’s rusting into the ground.  This is at Mid-Atlantic VW (and towing) in Disputanta VA.

On the way home stopped by a second place and found a 2001 Passat with 15x 6” BBS alloys, 5x112, ET35, for $15 apiece but I was out of money.  I think these wheels only require the centerbore enlarged so I’m trying hard not to be too greatly tempted.  This place also had a Subaru Legacy with an as-yet-unraided engine compartment, so there’s another dream.

Got home and began cleaning up the seats, then stopped to take the new old dog to the park then grill steaks.  A good day.  More seat work tomorrow.

Stephen