Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 15 Feb 2009 15:51:07 -0800
From:         neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: What should I do about a tank of old gas
Comments: To: Mark A Kippert <vanagon@kippert.com>

On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 3:18 PM, Mark A Kippert <vanagon@kippert.com> wrote: > I just picked up the parts van that I mentioned on the list a couple > months ago. <http://www.kippert.com/parts_vanagon/> It's been two to > three years since it last ran, but ran fine (except for the lifter > problem I spoke of) at that time. > > I haven't tried to start it yet because the van has the original gas > in it. The PO told me he used a gas stabilizer prior to parking it. I > keep thinking I should empty the tank and flush new gas through the > fuel system but I'm not sure how. > > Is there a procedure for this? Or is it really necessary with > stabilizer? At the very least I think I should syphon the tank and put > fresh gas in Beyond that I'm thinking disconnect a line at the engine > and run it out. > > BTW, it's a 1987 GL 2WD, auto. > > Mark K > 1986 GL/2WD/4SPD >

If it were me, in terms of fuel quality, my first concern would be any sediment or water that's in the tank or lines. But, if the fuel filter is ok, it should protect the FI's etc. from sediment. If filter ok, I'd try running it. If it ran, I'd consider changing the fuel filter but for sure change the fuel hoses.

Are the fuel hoses etc. in engine bay ok?

If I had doubts about the fuel and wanted to drain it, I'd clamp off the hoses at fuel pump/filter, hook up a generic new fuel filter to fuel tank outlet hose, unclamp this hose, and drain it from the tank through filter into a clean gas "can". Then I'd run that fuel a little at a time in another vehicle. Replace the fuel filter on the Vanagon, install new fuel lines at pump/filter, (and engine bay if needed) put in new gas.

But that's just me :)

YMMV,

Neil.

-- Neil Nicholson '81 VanaJetta "Jaco"