Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 24 Feb 2009 13:06:55 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: What causes the ignition switch to get hot?
Comments: To: Robert Keezer <warmerwagen@YAHOO.COM>

well Robert........ you know the famous saying ....... ( I'm the only one who quotes it.......but it really applies, and I suspect that some people don't grasp the basic abstraction of it ..........but )

'it's just a leakage or blockage of fluids or electrons.'

i.e. you obviously have a big fat short. the normal procedure is to isolate various parts of the circuits ( pulling fuses is one way .....though I suspect the current draw you are having is not in a fused circuit ) ......try removing the black wire from the coil ( you don't say what model vanagon this is of course..... I'm guessing it's your 2.9 gal inline four westy , and not a diesel )

but you isolate parts of the circuitry in the van until the smoking stops.... then you know what circuit to investigate and repair.

while I have you .......... those big diesel heater units under Canadian diesel vanagons, and some US models...... forget the model number right now.........but I have one of those for sale, the whole works..........still installed in a Canadian model 82 diesel vangon ........and I'm selling the diesel heater out of it .......( or the whole van for parts ) . the control switch is obviously broken ( got one of those ? ) ....... located in southern Oregon. $ 170 for the whole heater system - , wires, fuel pumps, control unit, sheet metal cover that goes under it , rear blower etc. Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Keezer" <warmerwagen@YAHOO.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, February 23, 2009 8:25 PM Subject: What causes the ignition switch to get hot?

Hi- I replaced the switch and it also gets hot and smokes, engine off.

Robert 1982 Vanagon