Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 25 Feb 2009 12:32:39 -0800
From:         Matthew Snook <matt@SNOOKSBAND.COM>
Subject:      Re: [WetWesties] Re: Ft Lewis troubles---SOLVED

Sorry for the delayed response, I'm back online.*

I want to say - Evan has lucky neighbors. :)

Soon after I sent out the list query Sunday night, Evan sent a PM and offered to help. I had already checked for the simple things by flashlight, but I don't trust myself to catch everything in the dark and decided to wait until morning. So I told the folks in the convenience store what was up, made up the bed and slept right where I would have anyway. It seemed pretty safe since the police were cruising through the station about every hour, and the store is open 'round the clock.

Next morning I was able to discount frayed wires and other possibilities, so I called Evan and he set about getting the rebuilt alternator, delivered it to me and put it in! He also gave me some tips on maintenance and bus care. We jumped the battery with his veggie-oil 300D and the Westy was back in business. I think the Vanagon community is even more valuable than Triple-A or Starline (? Is that what I mean?)! Everybody that I've met from WetWesty/Vanagon makes me proud to be a human. I can't say that about all the circles I move in.

Anyway, thanks again to Evan and the folks that make these online lists work. Up to now it's been just good entertainment for me, now it's also useful! I put my name on the "rescue squad" - I'm not much at mechanics, but I think I'll be pretty good in the support crew. :)

Matt

*Sunday night at midnight my ISP switched servers, leaving some of us able to receive but not send for a couple of days. I'm just lucky that I got my note out to the list in time!

________________________________________ From: Evan Stanley [mailto:evankanga@yahoo.com] Subject: Re: [WetWesties] Re: Ft Lewis troubles---SOLVED

Hey all,

i live in the area, had a core alternator at the house, took it down the road to get it professionally rebuilt at Sound Starter in tacoma, took it out to him, checked wires, installed, charged battery a bit, started car and just over 14 volts.    back on the road!!

his bus is great and he left for his trip home this morning.

take care for all that were here for him.

--evan