Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 27 Feb 2009 09:04:11 -0500
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Ripoff artists named (TheSamba)

According to the list charter:

> Occasionally, a list member will have a problem > with the performance of a vendor or with a private > transaction gone bad. If you are having trouble with > a vendor, do everything you reasonably can to resolve > it WITH THE VENDOR before you bring it to the list. > Do not ambush people. If you can't resolve it yourself, > it is a valid topic for discussion on the list, but > please stick to The facts of the vendor's product or > performance. Flames are not appropriate EVEN IF you > can prove you've been shafted.

As the first vendor on the Vanagon list (I started the Bus Depot on-list, with the support/encouragement of list members, over a decade ago), I can say that with rare exceptions list members have always been great about following this ediquette. Not just with me (being human, I'll admit to screwing up an order or two in my time), but also with the many other private and commercial vendors that have come and gone over the years. In fact, in rare cases where a (typically new) list member went straight to the list, either another member or the moderator gently advised them to try to resolve it directly first and then get back to the list if necessary. 99 percent of the time it wasn't necessary; the issue turned out to be a misunderstanding or honest mistake that was easily resolved off-list.

The internet is a powerful thing. It can be a tool or a weapon, depending on how responsibly it is wielded. Your words are broadcast to millions of people, and stay there forever via Google and other search engines, so choose them carefully. Retracting the comments doesn't make them go away. Responding to the comments (even if the response is perfectly valid) does not undo the harm done by the original post. As they say, when a person slings mud some of it temds to stick, whether or not it is deserved. A good rule of thumb is, do not treat others any less fairly than you yourself would want to be treated. How would you personally feel if someone had a minor gripe with you, and broadcast it to the internet instead of trying to resolve it directly with you? Or if someone labeled you a "ripoff artist" due to what turned out to be a miscommunication, resulting in that description forever being attached to YOUR good name whenever anyone googled you?

My $0.02.

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. www.busdepot.com