Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 27 Feb 2009 10:46:13 -0800
From:         Keith Ovregaard <kovregaard@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Reduced Mileage

Thanks all for the responses regarding the crappy mileage issue with my van.

I have ruled out tire pressure (I keep a constant eye on that), tuning (A new rotor & distributor cap where put in less than 10k miles ago. Timing was checked, plugs replaced, new air filter, etc. Idles fine, too. ) and speed (I drove about the same speed on same trip).

Possible causes are ethanol and dragging brakes. As of July 3, 2007, Governor Ted Kulongoski signed HB 2210, mandating that all gasoline sold in Oregon contain 10% Ethanol. Since it takes 1.53 Gallons of ethanol to equal the energy of 1 gallon of gasoline, that equates to exactly 2/3 the mileage. So, that's about 1 MPG hit. My trip to Oregon required I fill up 3 times with the ethanol blend. Apparently, CA does not have much ethanol, but I did read that the 76 brand is ethanol blended. I will have to pay more attention to the pump labeling to avoid ethanol. MPG did not improve with CA gas.

I recently installed big brakes in front & adjusted the rears, so there may be some dragging. I have not noticed any heat buildup after being on the freeway for hours, so I doubt there's enough drag to affect mileage. The drums and rotors were cool to the touch. But, when I spin the wheels in front, I do hear the pads against the rotor. Is that normal?

Keith 90 Syncro Westy