Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 27 Feb 2009 18:33:28 -0700
From:         "John C..." <Trvlr2001@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: removing rear axle nut

It's been a few years for me, But, wasn't there a way to calculate The torque when retightening the nut back on, (dont remember off hand, the value) Where you take your weight, Say 180 lbs. (or say Wish 180 lbs :o) And measure the distance out on the extension bar to stand? Or was I just smelling too many autumn leaves burning that day ??? :o) JC... -----Original Message----- From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of Zeitgeist Sent: Friday, February 27, 2009 4:10 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: removing rear axle nut

I just completed this very task recently. I simply went to Harbor Freight and picked up their 3/4" metric socket set that includes a big ol' breaker bar. The bar and a short length of steel pipe made short work of loosening/tightening the 46mm nut. I had far more trouble removing the drums than the nut. Remember to have a couple of new cotter pins ready for the reassembly.

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 2:54 PM, Troy <colorworks@gci.net> wrote:

> Hi there: > > Looking for articles on how best to remove the rear hub/axle nut on my 89 > Westy (2wd) to install some longer studs for a wheel upgrade. If I recall > this is one of those things that requires a huge amount of torque, and > specialized equipment. I searched on the Samba, I came up with 150 pages > worth of info, so I guess I did not enter the information into the search > engine correctly. I had forgotten how to do a search on the archives here. > Could someone please tell me how to do that? I had a link bookmarked once > upon a time, but now that I need it, I can't find it. > > Thanks! > > Troy >

-- Casey '87 300TD '94 100CSQ Avant '89 Bluestar