Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 28 Feb 2009 06:56:49 -0500
From:         Mike <mbucchino@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: removing rear axle nut
Comments: To: "John C..." <Trvlr2001@COMCAST.NET>

Yes, torque is measured in foot/pounds (ft/lb).

This is simple to apply for our rear axlenut tightening procedure;

One pound of weight (or force applied) on the end of a one foot-long breaker bar handle, will apply one ft/lb of torque to the fastener that you're tightening. Using this principle, we can then say that 180 lbs of your body weight applied standing (not jumping!) on the end of a1 foot long breaker handle, will apply 180 ft/lbs of torque on your axlenut. But, that's not enough torque. So, if you stand on the end of a 2 ft long breaker handle, then you're applying 360 ft/lbs of torque onto your axlenut. If I stand on the end of a 1 foot long breaker handle, I'm applying 240 ft/lbs, so if I stand on the end of a 2 ft long breaker handle, I'll be applying 480 ft/lbs, which is way too much for that rear axle nut. So, I would stand at 1.5 ft and be applying 360 ft/lbs of torque, which is fine. As I said, you can't jump or you'll be applying way too much torque, and it's not measureable or accurate in any way. Not to mention, that you'll probably break your breaker bar, strip your threads, lose you balance and fall, etc. When you stand or lightly bounce on a breaker bar to loosen a tight axlenut, hold onto something, be prepared for your wrench to break suddenly and without warning. Over the years, I've broken many Craftsman, Snap-On and no-name 1/2"-drive ratchet handles. Buy yourself a 3/4"-drive handle and socket, and this won't happen. The warrantee on the Craftsman tools keeps me coming back for more, as those darn 3/4" wrenches are pricey. I now own a geared Torque Tool, that makes this job a breeze on all my 36mm stuff, like bug axlenuts and engine flywheel glandnuts. (No-one is currently producing a 46mm version of this tool, I wish they would.) It uses gearing to allow you to apply one-tenth of the force to get multiplied action. 25 lbs on a little 3/8" ratchet handle, results in 250 ft/lbs of torque applied for loosening or tightening. As I said, it's like magic!

Mike B.