Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 28 Feb 2009 07:48:03 -0500
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Engine stutters, tach nosedives. Then, just as suddenly,
              it's normal again.
Comments: To: Greg Potts <greg@POTTSFAMILY.CA>

At 08:38 PM 2/27/2009, Greg Potts wrote: >I suspect the coil or the hall sensor; though Mark Dearing at Salem >Import suggested it could also be the ECU. >So what do you'all think? Was it just a loose plug wire, or are there >deeper issues lurking?

Deeper issues. The tach is driven off the coil primary negative side, which the ECU ignition drivers pull down toward ground and release in order to create the spark. It is my belief that an open circuit in the coil secondary -- from unplugged distributor wire -- would not alter the primary characteristics enough to prevent the tach indicating, though I could be wrong. I think you're looking at a short in the Hall-effect sender plug at the distributor, which is a known soft point, or ECU internals or wiring between the two. If it's the ECU I'd be inclined to suspect bad solder, since I always do whenever anything electronic stops working -- even when it's not in a high-vibration environment.

And of course it could always be that the coil terminal from the ECU is just resting against its lug instead of securely on it. That happened to me once, tachometer drop and all.

-- David Beierl - Providence RI USA -- http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '89 Po' White Star "Scamp"