Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 28 Feb 2009 08:26:28 -0800
From:         dylan friedman <insyncro@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Engine stutters, tach nosedives. Then, just as suddenly,
              it's normal again.
Comments: To: Greg Potts <greg@POTTSFAMILY.CA>

Here is a pic of my emergency fix of the Hall Sender connector on the exterior of the dist. Got me home safe and sound. Swapped in a dist. with a good connection and it is still going strong. http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/517437.jpg dylan ________________________________ From: Greg Potts <greg@POTTSFAMILY.CA> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Saturday, February 28, 2009 11:08:54 AM Subject: Re: Engine stutters, tach nosedives. Then, just as suddenly, it's normal again. Hi Ken, The Hall sensor definitely has potential to be a culprit here, as a no-start condition required that it be removed and reattached while at EveryBus just after I picked up the vanagon. Since that time the external connector has been held to the distributor with a sturdy cable tie, and everything has been fine. I checked it yesterday, it remains dry and well anchored. I have a complete spare engine, but it's a 1.9 and the hall sensor has a completely different connector, so it's not the easy swap I thought it would be. My franken-engine is a 1.9 block using 2.1FI and cooling. I guess I'll add a replacement hall sensor kit to the ASAP tune-up list and keep my eyes open for a spare ECU locally. But if things suddenly go south and I need one in a hurry I certainly appreciate knowing where I can get one when I need it. Happy Trails, Greg Potts 1973/74/79 Westfakia "Bob the Tomato" 1987 Wolfsburg Weekender Hardtop www.busesofthecorn.com www.pottsfamily.ca Ken Wilford wrote: > Greg, I was having this problem and it progressively got worse over > time.  In my case it turned out to be the hall sensor in the > distributor.  I replaced this and have been fine ever since. > However it can also be the ECU since they are known for having bad > solder joints and since they have the coil driver (ignition module) > built in you can see how this can cause cutting out. > > The big problem is the problem being intermittent.  I had this problem > rear it's ugly head on the coldest day of the winter for two winters. > The first time I replaced the ECU and changed the fuel filter and it > seemed to go away. > The second time it got to a point where the van would no longer run and > I swapped in a known good distributor and found the problem. > > Let me know if we can help you further.  I have rebuilt ECUs in stock > for $250 and rebuild distributors as well (or you can buy the hall > sensor only and rebuild your own). > > Hope this helps, > Ken Wilford > John 3:16 > www.vanagain.com