Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 2 Mar 2009 14:37:41 -0500
From:         Walter Houle <whoule@ECSCONTROLS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Opinion on Long Trip w/young driver to Florida from Texas:
              Vanagons Gone Wild.

Michael -

I have very fond memories of a spring break trip my girlfriend and I took in my 70 loaf when I was 20. This was in 1980 or so. We headed down from Atlanta to watch the space shuttle launch (#2, I believe), then headed for Daytona beach for a week of kids gone wild. We did all the things that 20 year olds do in vans and came home unscathed. The van did fine too. I do remember all of the stuff I had to do to that van to get it ready like brakes, heads, a piston or two, steering damper, fuel lines, tires, etc. It actually took several months of preparation and an allocation of scarce cash. Making that trip was the goal all along. We did a couple more spring break road trips in that van over the next two years, too.

It pains me to say this, but I think you made the right choice. The difference is that it was my own van and I had a put lot of sweat and effort into making it run. I'm not too sure if your son would agonize over every strange noise your van made or take the time to check things. Then there's the issue of the 5 buddies along for the ride - that one will be trouble for sure.

My $.02

Walter 85 Vanagon